So you made the big decision of bringing a new kitten home. Now what? It is important that you take the steps necessary to maintain your kitten healthy, and ensure that you enjoy this experience to the fullest, as kittens are not kittens forever!
- Preventing kitten diseases and paradises: Take your kitten to a review by your veterinarian to make sure there are no health concerns that need to be urgently addressed. Your kitten will also need to be vaccinated and immunized against a variety of diseases.
- Feeding your kitten: Be careful not to overfeed your kitten. Some of veterinarians suggestions to promote healthy feeding are: using a small food bowl, feed your kitten a variety of different flavors, and making feeding part of your kitten’s daily stimulation and activity. Ask your veterinarian to recommended a food and amount.
- Keeping your kitten sheltered: cats are safer if kept totally indoors. Also, provide your kitten with a clean litter box that will attract him or her to use the toilet. Make sure to introduce your cat to the litter box early and often.
- Stimulating and interacting with your kitten: are critical in the socialization and enjoyment of your kitten. Cats are by nature gentle, so respect your kitten’s natural behavior and provide gentle stimulation to it.
- Spaying and neutering: All pet kittens should be spayed and neutered for behavioral, population and health reasons.