Watch this 4-minute video to learn how to teach your dog to balance a treat on his nose. https://youtu.be/hUYAEhm8YiI
Here is a quick tutorial:
- First teach the dog impulse control by holding a hand full of delicious food and asking the dog to leave the food alone until you tell him to get it.
- When your dog looks away, mark and reward the behavior with a consistent sound of “yes”
- Mark and reward your dog ‘s behavior when it chooses to look away from an open hand. Then repeat this by holding the treat with 2 fingers.
- Hold the treat in a closed feast right in front of a dog’s nose. Wait until the dog stops sniffing to reward his behavior. Do the same thing by holding the treat in 2 fingers.
- Finally, you should be able to balance the treat on top of the dog’s nose.