It’s Happy Healthy cat Month and there are many things we as pet owners can do to assure our best friends are happy and healthy. As a veterinarian, pet owners often ask us what they should be doing in order to help keep their pets healthy. To help others with similar concerns what follows are my top six pet health tasks to promote the well-being of your cat.
- Yearly veterinary examinations – Annual examinations are as essential as food and love. Don’t wait for your feline to be sick before taking him to the veterinarian. Bring your cat in for a wellness exam at least once a year. Older pets and pets with medical issues may need to be seen more frequently.
- Dental care – Commit to keeping your cat’s teeth clean and healthy. What does this entail? First, take your kitty to the veterinarian for a checkup and cleaning if necessary at least once a year.
- Vaccinations – Most people wouldn’t skip vaccinating their kids and shouldn’t overlook vaccinating their pets. Immunizations protect our pets from devastating diseases caused by viruses and bacteria.
- Microchips – If your cat doesn’t already have one, make sure you microchip your pet. While collars and ID tags are important, they are not a guarantee that your pet will be returned home if they ever get lost.
- Spay and neuter your cat – Besides helping prevent cat overpopulation and being the responsible thing to do, spaying and neutering your dog or cat has important health benefits.
Follow these tips and enjoy Happy Healthy Cat Month all year round. Always reach out to your local vet if you have any further questions on your cats wellness and happiness.